Horana Export Processing Zone was established in 1999 with 181 Acres for industrial purposes. The infrastructure facilities at the zone include water, waste water treatment and electricity.
The Horana EPZ therefore promotes the Government’s objective to develop regional industrialization in Sri Lanka. The location is also now the headquarters of the Board of Investment which owns and operates most industrial estates in the country.
There are 21 enterprises in commercial operation at the Horana Export Processing Zone involved in the manufacture of Apparel & accessories, Food, Wooden, Consumer, Steel & Aluminum and Plastic products.
- Total area: 181 acres
- Developer: Board of Investment
- Year opened: 1999
- Workforce: 3,400
- Electricity supply: Dedicated Grid sub-station 63 MVA
- Wastewater treatment: Sewage/ effluent treatment capacity 1000m3/day
- Water supply: Potable water up to WHO standards 3000 m3 /day
- Security: 24 hrs. security service, chain Link fencing and security lighting
- Seaport: 55 Km from Colombo Port
- Airport: 80 Km away from Bandaranayake International Airport